Pancreatic Cancer Heatmap now online!
Following several months of development, we are happy to unveil the PCE heatmap. Conceived as a powerful tool to compare the pancreatic cancer patients’ situation in each European country, the heatmap provides information on awareness situation, national policy, diagnosis, research… We are always looking for more data and information to enrich the heatmap. Should you want to add some data for your country, please contact directly the Secretariat.
Did you know that Pancreatic Cancer has the lowest survival rate of all cancers?
Help us to reverse the Trend!
Pancreatic cancer is currently the 4th leading cause of death by cancer in Europe. If no action is taken, it is set to be 2nd by 20203.
Launched in July 2014 a call for action on pancreatic cancer by Members of the European Parliament has been the key driver for the activities of the platform. Since its launch, Pancreatic Cancer Europe has been developping the Pancreatic Cancer Declaration, in order to ensure real change in European policies for pancreatic cancer patients.
Patients affected with pancreatic cancer lose 98% of their healthy life expectancy at the point of diagnosis5.
Today, a diagnosis of pancreatic cancer is generally associated with a death sentence and few patients are alive one year after diagnosis, while an earlier diagnosis could help reduce the mortality of the disease. If diagnosed in time, chances of survival increase.
- Farthing, M, Roberts, S, Samuel D, Williams D, et al. Survey of digestive health across Europe: Final report. Part 1: The burden of gastrointestinal diseases and the organisation and delivery of gastroenterology services across Europe, United European Gastroenterology Journal, December 2014 vol. 2 no. 6 539-543
- Malvezzi M, Bertuccio P, Levi F, La Vecchia C, Negri E, et al. European cancer mortality predictions for the year 2013. Annals of Oncol. 2013; 24:792-800
- Pancreatic Cancer Action Network. The alarming rise of pancreatic cancer deaths in The United States: Why we need to stem the tide today, 2012. www.pancan.org/wp-content/uploads/2013/01/incidence_report_2012_executive_summary.pdf [Last accessed April 2014]
- Carrato et al, 2015. “A Systematic Review of the Burden of Pancreatic Cancer in Europe: Real-World Impact on Survival, Quality of Life and Costs.” DOI 10.1007/s12029-015-9724-1
- Carrato A, Falcone A, Ducreux, M, Valle, J, Parnaby A, Djazouli K, Alnwick-Allu K, Hutchings A, Palaska C, Parthenaki I. A systematic review of the burden of pancreatic cancer in Europe: Real-world impact on survival, quality-of-life, and costs. J Gastrointest Cancer 2015 Sep;46(3):201-11